Monday, February 8, 2010

The Missing Boot

Yes, yes, I know it's been a long time since I've updated our blog. I do plan on sharing some pictures and events from the holiday season. However tonight, I needed to share a story about how Parker lost his boot. It began as a very snowy day. Many schools around us let out early. Not mine (grrr!) I was very excited about a Mom and Parker Night. We went out to shovel the newly accumulated very heavy, deep snow. It was difficult, as the snow along the edge of the driveway is already 3-6 feet tall. Difficult for a shorty like me to throw it much higher! Parker was helping quite a bit, and we were having a good time. Then he decided to take a shoveling break and play in the snow. He was having lots of fun, when suddenly from the top of the highest peak of snow, he announced "MOM, I LOST MY BOOT!" Then he held up his foot, confirming that he was in fact missing a boot. At first, a flurry of four letter words raced through my brain, but I climbed up the snowbank and asked him to show me where it was. I figured I could just grab it out. No luck. The boot was so far down there, I needed to dig. I began to dig, but realized that my little guy's foot was clold, wet, and freezing. So, I took Parker inside and got him settled and then went back out to get the boot. In the 7 minutes I was inside, the snow had blown over the spot and I couldn't tell where exactly the boot was anymore. At this point, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I began laughing like a crazy person, as I became buried in the snow. (Keep in mind, this is the snow that I had just shoveled, falling back onto the driveway.) I search for 10 minutes, at which point I gave up because it was a boot, not person, and my entire body was cold and wet. I came back into the house where Parker was waiting anxiously for me to produce the missing boot. I felt like a failure as I had to tell the poor little guy that I couldn't find his boot! Now we are faced with finding new boots in February...yep, I'm sure they will be right next to the bathing suits and spring clothes at Target!

Thinking the drama was over for the night, I put my tired little guy to bed a little early, as we have an early day tomorrow. We read books and talked and rocked, and the instant his head hit his pillow, he threw up. Not just once, no, many times, all over everything. All I could think was, "I was seconds away from freedom." Not tonight. So, for the next half hour I cleaned, washed and changed Parker and his bedding. The funny thing is, I don't really think he's sick. Not sure what that was about. We'll see what the night brings.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh! What a night! Hope Parker feels better soon. :) In the meantime, you can go on another boot hunt!

    ReplyDelete